Keep Your Hand On That Plow

Keep Your Hand On That Plow
Keep Your Hand On That Plow

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Deep South Dispatch #6: Most Influential South Carolinians

My students and I have had a joke in which I bring up a historic person and ask if they know where the person was born and they guess South Carolina. I bring this up to illustrate my personal obsession which might be diagnosed as South Carolina exceptionalism.

I can't help it, I take note of people who are from South Carolina like Joe Frazier, Lauren Hutton or Kevin Garnett. Recently I have been mulling a top ten list in this vein: who are the most influential living people from the Palmetto State?


It will sound too pretentious to say I had a methodology for this. It is more of a parlor game, but I did come up with a few ground rules.
  • The person must be living and either born or raised in South Carolina.
  • The breadth and depth of the individual's influence is of paramount importance. Mere fame for a long time isn't enough. Demonstrated influence counts. Sorry Chubby Checker, but don't stop twisting.
  • The person's influence must be felt beyond the borders of the Palmetto State. Sorry Mayor Riley.
  • A candidate for the top ten needs to have been around long enough to prove she or he has lasting influence: sorry Aziz Asari but keep going!

The Short List

Ben Bernanke
Charles Bolden
Stephen Colbert
Pat Conroy
Jim DeMint
Marian Wright Edelman
John Edwards
Leeza Gibbons
William Gibson
Joseph L. Goldstein
Lindsey Graham
Fritz Hollings
Jesse Jackson
Young Jeezy
Jasper Johns
Sallie Krawchek
Andie McDowell
Kary Mullis
Chris Rock
Darius Rucker
Armstrong Williams

If you have an opinion on who should make the top ten let me know.

2 comments:

Jenion said...

Stanley Donen - film director, Singin in the Rain, etc. Unfortunately when asked about Columbia, said it was a great place to leave.

Shepard Fairey - his influence is everywhere now after the 2008 election.

These are the only ones I'll mention. I found more possible contenders, but I'll stop here.

Gurnal said...

Two come quickly to mind:

Frome the world of entertainment: Vanna White (from Myrtle Beach): Wheel of Fortune. 'Nuff said.

TV Chef Tyler Florence (from Greenville)